Saturday, April 16, 2011

Daring Cooks-Edible Containers (Savory)-Challenge #3

Renata of Testado, Provado & Aprovado! was our Daring Cooks’ April 2011 hostess. Renata challenged us to think “outside the plate” and create our own edible containers! Prizes are being awarded to the most creative edible container and filling, so vote on your favorite from April 17th to May 16th at http://thedaringkitchen.com !

It was a busy month and the time to complete this challenge almost slipped away.  I was amazed by all of the containers that fellow cooks had created.  An idea finally came to me to use the quick quits I had in the pantry.  I made the grits and then poured them over an upside-down mini muffin tin that I placed in a bigger glass casserole dish.  I then chilled the grits for an hour in the refrigerator.  I then cut the grits into squares (each having a small circular indentation in the middle).  The next morning, I lightly fried the grit squares in butter.  Then, I made some scrambled eggs and filled the grit squares with the eggs.  Next, I may try a twist on the Southern shrimp and grits; filling the grit squares with shrimp instead of the eggs.  Below is a picture of the finished product. 





1 comment:

  1. Sounds good, the shrimp idea for the filling is also an excellent idea. Thanks for participating, and sharing your technique for molding the containers!

    ReplyDelete