Monday, February 14, 2011

Daring Cooks-Hiyashi Soba and Tempura-Challenge #1

The February 2011 Daring Cooks’ challenge was hosted by Lisa of Blueberry Girl. She challenged Daring Cooks to make Hiyashi Soba and Tempura. She has various sources for her challenge including japanesefood.about.com, pinkbites.com, and itsybitsyfoodies.com.

I was excited to see this challenge as my first official Daring Cooks challenge.  I love all sorts of Asian food. One of my favorite dishes during a trip to South Korea in the summer of 2002 was a cold buckwheat noodles with a spicy sauce.  This dish brought back memories.  Even better, I had received a small home deep fat fryer as a Christmas gift and now I had a good reason to put it to use.

 I decided to make the spicy dressing for the noodles.  Next time, I will have to add some chili flakes or something because I did not find it that spicy at all.  For the tempura, we had shrimp, peapods, carrots, sesame leaves, shitake mushrooms, and blue potatoes.  My and my other half's favorites were the carrots and the potatoes.  I loved the color the potatoes added to the dish.  This dish was good enough the other half asked for it to be put into the regular rotation of dinners that I make. 

The recipes for the both the noodles and tempura can be found here at the Daring Kitchen website. And finally here is a pic of the noodles and tempura.







2 comments:

  1. Welcome and hello to the Daring Cooks' and congratulations on your first very successful challenge and I hope you have many happy experiences with us.

    WOW your results are amazing and great to hear that it will be in your normal rotation of meals that is stunning. Great photos especially the last one. Well done on this challenge.

    Cheers from Audax in Sydney Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your first DC challenge! You did a great job. Those two big(!) bowls of food look delicious!
    Pozdrawiam! Anula.

    ReplyDelete